How to Apply for a Special Event Permit
A Special Event is defined by the State as an event where alcoholic beverages are sold or are included as part of an admission type fee.
There are three types of permits:
1. Type A permits are issued to non-profit organizations with tax exempt status under US Internal Revenue Service Code, Section 501(c)3 or 501(c)8. To qualify for this permit, applicants must submit written proof of tax-exempt status from the IRS.
2. Type B permits are issued to non-profit organizations that have not obtained 501(c)3 or 501(c)8 tax exempt status. To qualify for this permit, applicants must provide reasonable proof of their non-profit status such as documentation from the Secretary of State, IRS or other documentation showing that all proceeds will go to a charitable cause.
3. Type C permits are issued to persons who do not meet the requirements above. To qualify for this permit, applicants must meet the qualifications required of permit holders under Louisiana Revised Statute 26:80 and 26:280.
All applicants must submit the following to obtain a Special Event Permit:
- Copy of valid lease or written permission to use location
- Proof of non-profit status
- Copy of driver’s license
The names and information on the State application and the Parish application must match exactly.
- There is no charge for a special event permit.
- Permits are limited to a maximum of three (3) consecutive days.
- A maximum of twelve (12) special event permits will be issued to the same individual/organization/business within a calendar year.
Deliver the completed information to our office:
Calcasieu Parish Police Jury (CPPJ)
901 Lakeshore Drive, 5th Floor
Lake Charles, LA 70601
State of Louisiana Alcohol and Tobacco Website link:
There is an Opelousas, Louisiana location if the applicant wishes to submit for the State permit in person (337)948-0346.