PEDDLERS, DOOR-TO-DOOR SOLICITATION
Peddling is prohibited with few exceptions. Click on Ordinance No. 6676 for more information.
How to Apply for a Door-to-Door Solicitation Permit
- At least five days prior to the start of the activity, each participant must submit to the following to the license officer in the Planning & Development Office:
- Completed Peddler Application for each person
- $100 fee per person
- Completed FBI background check, the cost of which to be paid by the applicant
- Copy of driver’s license
- Copy of vehicle registration
- Sample pamphlet and/or materials to be used.
The Calcasieu Parish Sheriff’s Office reviews and verifies the results of the FBI background check, confirming:
- That the person engaging in the proposed activity is not registered on the National Sex Offender Registry, and
- Has not, within the preceding seven (7) years, been convicted of any felonies, sexual offenses, violent crimes or any misdemeanors involving theft.
Once cleared by the Sheriff's Office, the authorization is granted. A permit and photo identification with the participant's name and permit dates is issued by the parish and is valid for a maximum of 90 days.
Solicitation on streets and roadways
Sec. 15-37. - Solicitation prohibited; exceptions.
(a) Solicitation is hereby prohibited on any highway, road or street within the unincorporated areas of Calcasieu Parish. Members of professional firefighters associations, recognized non-profit organizations, and bona fide charitable organizations may engage in solicitation of contributions under the following circumstances: Association, organization, or group must obtain a permit from the occupational license department of the parish division of planning and development for the solicitation of contributions, which permit shall state the specific date and duration of the activity, the specific location of the activity, and the number of participants to engage in the activity; and each participant in the activity, if conducted on a highway, road, or street in the unincorporated areas of the parish shall be required to wear a safety vest, participate in a safety briefing provided by the participating organization prior to the activity, and be at least 16 years of age or older.
(b) Solicitation is prohibited on the premises of a private business or parking lot without first receiving written permission from the business, occupant of the premises, or property owner. Any solicitation permitted by such written permission shall be done in accordance with the provisions of LRS 51:1905 which prohibits, among other things, engaging in unfair methods of competition, unfair or deceptive practices, or misrepresentation.
(c) Violation of this section shall be a misdemeanor punishable by a term of imprisonment of up to thirty (30) days in the parish jail or a fine of up to $500 or both, as prescribed in Section 1-9 of the Code of Ordinances.
(Ord. No. 5608, § II, 12-4-08)
Members of professional firefighters associations, recognized non-profit organizations, and bona fide charitable organizations may engage in solicitation of contributions under the following circumstances:
Obtain a permit from the Calcasieu Parish License Office by providing:
- Provide the specific date, duration and the location of the activity
- List of the names of the participants engaging in the activity
- Provide written permission from the property owner.
If conducted on a highway, road or street, each participant must:
- Wear a safety vest,
- Participate in a safety briefing provided by the participating organization, and
- Be at least 16 years of age.
Solicitation is prohibited on the premises of a private business or parking lot without first receiving written permission from the property owner. See LRS 51:1905, which prohibits engaging in unfair methods of competition, unfair or deceptive practices or misrepresentation.