An annual occupational license tax is required for persons conducting or pursuing a trade, profession, occupation or vocation within the Parish of Calcasieu, outside of any municipality per LA RS 47:341. All businesses are required to acquire an annual business license. "Business" includes all businesses, trades, professions, occupations, vocations, or callings unless specifically excluded by law. The license tax must be paid prior to commencement of business.
A business license is a receipt for taxes paid, it is not an authorization to do business.
How to Apply for a New Business/Occupational License
- Complete the New Business Occupational License Application Form and submit the following information to obtain the initial/temporary occupational license:
- Completed Zoning Compliance Form. The physical address of the business and description of or type of business activity is required to obtain zoning compliance from the Planning & Development Office. You may email your form to OccupationalLicense@cppj.net or fax it to 337-721-4174 for approval.
- Copy of Articles of Incorporation (if applicable), Organization or Partnership, with proof of registration from the Louisiana Secretary of State
- Copy of driver’s license of the highest ranking officer and/or owner
- Proof of registration with the Calcasieu Parish School Board Sales and Use Tax Department for a local sales tax number www.calcasieusalestax.org
- Proof of registration with the State of Louisiana - Department of Revenue – Sales Tax Division – for a business account www.revenue.louisiana.gov and www.geauxbiz.sos.la.gov
- If food and/or beverage is involved, a completed, approved LA Department of Health Approval Letter/Certification www.dhh.louisiana.gov/index.cfm/subhome/19
- Contractors are required to obtain a Certification of Resident Contractor from the State of Louisiana or Certification of Non-Resident Contractor prior to obtaining the local license www.lslbc.louisiana.gov http://revenue.louisiana.gov/LawsPolicies/LAC61_I_4373.pdf
- After obtaining your license, register with the Calcasieu Parish Tax Assessor’s Office, first floor of the Magnolia Building, 1101 Lakeshore Drive, 1st floor, 337-721-3000. www.calcasieuassessor.org The Calcasieu Parish Assessor is responsible for discovery, listing, and valuing all property in the Parish for ad valorem tax purposes. This property includes all Real Estate, all Business Movable Property (Personal Property), and all Oil and Gas Property and Equipment.
The initial fee is $50.00 for most categories. This fee is pro-rated after the first 30 days according to the first month’s gross receipts and any additional tax is due no later than forty Worksheet for Computation of First Year License Tax to calculate the (40) days after commencement. Complete the tax for the remainder of the first year in business.
Deliver the completed information and payment to our office:
Calcasieu Parish Police Jury (CPPJ)
901 Lakeshore Drive, 5th Floor
Lake Charles, LA 70601
Or mail to:
PO Box 1583
Lake Charles, LA 70602
Questions? Email OccupationalLicense@cppj.net or call our office at 337-721-3640 or 1-800-826-6092.