The Intracoastal Park Improvements Project is Complete!
The Calcasieu Parish Police Jury celebrated the completion of the Intracoastal Park Improvements Project with a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Wednesday, June 26, at the park, 7955 Intracoastal Park Road, Sulphur.
Pictured at left are, left to right: Dean Kelly, Calcasieu Parish Police Jury Director of Facility Management; Bryan Beam, Parish Administrator; Judd Bares, District 12 Calcasieu Parish Police Juror; Kevin White, Calcasieu Parish Police Jury President; Dane Bolin, Assistant Parish Administrator; Steve Shows, project designer; and Justin Gautreaux, design assistant.
The $564,000 Intracoastal Park Improvements Project included the expansion and renovation of the existing pavilion; replacement of the fishing wharf; a new, wheelchair-accessible fish cleaning station; and electrical repairs to the RV slots.
The former, open-air pavilion now has new roofing, new doors, windows, air conditioning and heating, an inside sink, concrete countertops (inside and outside), and a large covered patio facing the water. There is also new electrical service throughout the park, new walkways, and a new lift station.
The shoreline has been cleared and contoured for bank fishing. It is also wheelchair-accessible.
“The completion of this project greatly enhances the experience visitors will have when visiting Intracoastal Park,” said Dean Kelly, Director of Facility Management. “The pavilion overlooking the Intracoastal Waterway is a prime location for crawfish, crab boils and fish fries. The park is very popular with local fishermen. The updated fish cleaning station will make it much more convenient for visitors to clean their catches.”
Future park projects include enhanced parking and sidewalks.
Those interested in renting the new pavilion can call Facility Management at 337-721-3540.
Gunter Construction, Inc. served as general contractor and Steve Shows, of Vincent-Shows Architects, served as project designer.
Known by locals as the place to crab and fish, Intracoastal Park offers sportsmen and families a great destination. The park features a number of amenities including pavilions, camper sites, two boat launches, picnic tables with barbeque pits and a playground for the kids.
7955 Intracoastal Park Road, Sulphur, LA
Intracoastal Park is open from 5 a.m.- 11 p.m. daily.
• Boat Launches: Two boat launches are available at the Intracoastal Park allowing access to the Intracoastal Waterway. Both launches have wharves attached.
• Camping: This park has 28 RV camper sites with electricity available. RV camper sites with electricity offer both 50 amp service and 30 amp service. A dump station is available for RV campers. For rental information, please refer to the Intracoastal Park rates and regulations page here.
• Pavilion: Intracoastal Park has an air-conditioned pavilion - with electricity and inside and outside sinks -that is available to rent for various activities. For rental information, refer to the Intracoastal Park rates and regulations page here.
Note: This pavilion must be reserved in person at the Calcasieu Parish Police Jury Facility Management Office on the 11th floor at 901 Lakeshore Drive, Lake Charles, Monday thru Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
An open-air pavilion without electricity is also available for public use. There is no rental charge for this pavilion and reservations are not required. Use of this facility is on a first come, first serve basis.
• Picnic: Picnic areas are spread throughout the park with barbecue pits.
• Public restrooms with showers are available.
• Recreations: A playground center with many fun features is located in the middle of the park.
For questions on parish parks or pavilion availability, call 377-721-3540, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. or contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
No commercial or fundraising activities are allowed at these facilities.
Users of these facilities are responsible for cleanup.