Before You Surrender Your Pet
If it feels like you cannot keep your pet there are a few things to consider before making the final decision to surrender your pet.
- Consult a trainer who may be able to help with behavior issues.
- Talk with your veterinarian to make sure there are no medical problems your pet may be experiencing.
- Look for a different place to live that will accept your pet.
- Ask friends or family if they would be able to take care of your pet.
- Be your pet's own adoption agent and adopt it out to a new home yourself. This transition will be much easier on both you and your pet.
Once all of these options have been exhausted then you can surrender your pet to Calcasieu Parish Animal Services.
Can you guarantee that my pet will be placed for adoption?
No, we cannot. Pets will be evaluated and any animals that are determined to be a safety or health risk to either humans or other animals will not be placed for adoption. In addition, any pets that reasonable veterinary care cannot help will also not be placed for adoption.
To learn about your surrendered pet's status you may call the shelter at 337-721-3730. However, we cannot give out any information about anyone who adopts your pet.