You can use the filters (All Categories) and (All Departments) to view specific types of news from selected departments. To select a specific news category or department, click the down arrow next to the field.
Police Jury Celebrates Prien Lake Park Boat Launch With Ribbon Cutting
Boat launch opened to the public on April 4
The Calcasieu Parish Police Jury celebrated the completion of the brand-new Prien Lake Park Boat Launch with a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Wednesday, April 17, at the park.
The boat launch opened to the public on April 4.
The year-long Prien Lake Park Boat Launch Extension Project included the removal of the existing boat launch, central wharf, entrance and driveways and the construction of a new boat launch, concrete entrance, driveway, floating boat dock, composite boardwalks, new bench seating, concrete parking areas and improved site drainage.
“The previous boat launch area of Prien Lake Park had developed some hazardous conditions for visitors when launching and or removing boats due to compromised paving,” said Martin Vires, Capital Manager in the Calcasieu Parish Police Jury’s Facility Management Department. “The previous central dock, wharf and adjacent decking had significant weathering and deterioration over the years of use and was in need of replacement.”
The launch has been extended to accommodate longer boats and trailers. The dock, wharf and boardwalk are made of composite decking material, which is resistant to weathering, insects and decay.
“I appreciate the time and hard work our staff put into this project to make sure it was done right and ahead of schedule,” said District 8 Police Juror Guy Brame. “This park is an example of what can be accomplished with vision.”
“This project did not turn out like I expected it,” said President Kevin White.“It’s better! This is a quality-of-life project - something that we on the Police Jury keep high on our priority list.”
Keiland Construction served as general contractor and Charles Ladner & Associates served as project engineer.
Prien Lake Park Boat Launch Improvement Project Facts
• The new entry and north and south parking lots include 166,320 square feet of reinforced concrete.
• The new floating dock utilizes 40 foot long pilings.
• About 50,650 square feet of existing damaged asphalt and concrete was removed.
• The new boat ramp is 12,080 square feet of reinforced, 7-inch thick concrete.
• A total of 860 lineal feet of composite wood decking was used to complete the boardwalk.
• The boat launch, along with its other site improvements, places Prien Lake Park and Calcasieu Parish on the same level as the best parks and launches on the Gulf Coast.