State of Emergency on Calcasieu River
Flooding from Recent Rains Closes Boat Launches
April 9, 2017—The Calcasieu Parish Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness issued a State of Emergency for areas north of the Saltwater Barrier on the Calcasieu River Saturday.
The emergency prohibits all boat traffic on the Calcasieu River to the Parish Line due to high water from recent rains. In consultation with Calcasieu Parish Sheriff Tony Mancuso, extra Marine Division patrols will be utilized to enforce the ban.
Additionally, Parish officials have announced the closure of numerous boat launches in Calcasieu. They include:
- River Bluff Park Boat Launch in Moss Bluff
- Riverside Park Boat Launch in Westlake
- English Bayou Boat Launch
- Goodman Rd. Boat Launch
- White Oak Park Boat Launch
- Anthony Ferry Boat Launch
- Holbrook Park Boat Launch
- West Fork/Gahagan Ln. Boat Launch
The emergency declaration will remain in place until river levels return to normal.
Residents who may need emergency help should call 911.