Help make this winter just a little bit warmer for Calcasieu Parish's homeless residents by donating needed items to the 2017 Winter Drive By. Even the smallest donations, like shampoo and cough drops, can make a big difference in a homeless person's life.
The Calcasieu Parish Police Jury’s Human Services Department and the Lake Charles/Southwest Louisiana Continuum of Care are again accepting donated items for homeless residents during the sixth annual Winter Drive By.
From October 1 - November 9, residents can drop off toiletries, tote bags, and other necessary items at the following locations during regular business hours:
- Parish Police Jury Administration Building, 1015 Pithon St.
- Allen P. August Multipurpose Building, 2001 Moeling St.
- Business and Career Solutions Center, 2424 Third St.
- United Way of Southwest Louisiana, 815 Ryan St.
- Calcasieu Parish Public Library, Central Branch, 310 W. Claude St.
- City Hall, 101 N. Huntington St.
- Calcasieu Parish Public Library, Sulphur Regional Branch, 1160 Cypress St.
- West Cal Arena and Events Center, 401 Arena Road.
- Managan Recreation Center, 1000 McKinley St.
- City Hall, 1001 Mulberry St.
Items needed include:
- Shampoo (travel size)
- Conditioner (travel size)
- Toothpaste (travel size)
- Mouthwash (travel size)
- Dental floss
- Shaving cream (travel size)
- Sunblock (at least 30 SPF)
- Lip balm
- Athlete's foot products
- Shoe insoles (women & men)
- Plastic bandages/first-aid kits (travel size)
- Cough drops
- Towels (solid color)
- Washcloths (solid color)
- Mosquito repellant
- Hand sanitizer (travel size)
- Feminine hygiene products
- Tissues (travel size)
- Baby wipes (travel size)
- Disposable razors
- Backpacks/tote bags
Items will be distributed from 9 a.m. 3 p.m. on November 15 and 16 at the Business and Career Solutions Center, 2424 Third St. in Lake Charles. You must have an original, valid Louisiana license, photo ID or passport to receive items. No copies will be accepted.
Each year, the Winter Drive By serves an average of 350 residents.
The drive is being held in recognition of National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week, which is November 11-19.
For more information, call 721-4030 (ext. 5120 or ext. 5045) .