When you should call 911:
- In an emergency
- When you need help
- When you need the police, fire department, or an ambulance
- Stay calm
- Listen for a dial tone
- On a push button phone push 9-1-1
- Explain what is wrong – what type of emergency it is
- Explain what type of help you need – fire, police, ambulance.
- Explain where help is needed.
- Give your name and address loudly and clearly
- Answer all the questions that are asked of you.
- Do not nod your head. Instead answer “yes” or “no” out loud
- Do not hang up until the dispatcher says it’s OK to do so.
- When there is no emergency
- For animals
- As a game or prank
- As a joke
- To practice