Preparing Makes Sense. Get Ready Now.
Recommended Supplies to Include in a Basic Kit
Get a Kit of emergency supplies.
Be prepared to improvise and use what you have on hand to make it on your own for at least three days, maybe longer. While there are many things that might make you more comfortable, think first about fresh water, food and clean air.
- Water-one gallon per person per day, for drinking and sanitation
- Non-perishable food, at least a three-day supply
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA
- Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First Aid kit
- Whistle to signal for help
- Filter mask or cotton t-shirt, to help filter the air
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Manual can opener if kit contains canned food
- Plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Important Family Documents
- Items for unique family needs, such as daily prescription medications, infant formula or diapers
Ready.org (Get a Kit)